Master of Arts in Mass Communication & Master of Social Sciences in Mass Communication
Established in 1973, the Department of Mass Communication (DMC) in the Faculty of Social Sciences at the University of Kelaniya is the pioneer Department in Journalism and Communication studies in Sri Lanka.
The Department has been exploring various dimensions in Mass Communication for the past forty-seven years, including both academic and professional contributions to the national development in Sri Lanka. At present, the Department offers postgraduate programs in Mass Communication in the levels of Master of Arts (one year, by course work), Master of Social Sciences (two years, by course work with research component), Master of Philosophy (MPhil), and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degrees.
The academic staff of the Department includes one Senior Professor, ten Senior Lecturers, three Lecturers, three probationary lecturers, and three Assistant Lecturers. Additionally, nearly twenty-five visiting lecturers contribute to the Department in broadening its academic, professional, and research capacities.
To develop a new and better media culture by imparting all possible knowledge to the scholar in addition to develop public understanding on the aspects of Mass Communication.
The Department of Mass Communication seeks to;
- Develop research skills through providing practical and theoretical knowledge expansion.
- Develop a center for excellence at the cutting- edge of media and communication research practices through teaching and learning.
- Create media and communication practitioners who can take contemporary challenges.
- Enhance ethical and standard practices connected to media culture
- Provide productive communication strategies for local development.
- Providing Post Graduate degree programs in Mass Communication that foster a better understanding of this discipline with a view enabling students to develop their knowledge, skills, and potential.
- Promoting learning, teaching, and researching in Mass Communication.
- Providing opportunities for students to develop their skills and talents through the teacher-student mutual knowledge exchange.
- Seek opportunities for career links with the rest of the world within the academies of the university circles.
Master of Arts in Mass Communication - SLQL Level 09
Master of Social Sciences in Mass Communication - SLQF Level 10
Course Content View
Help Desk Contact
Thushani: 0112917713 / 0713452386
Program Coordinator – MA
Sen. Lecturer Dammika Bandara Herath
Tel : 0716865728 / 0112917713 / 0112903863
Program Coordinator – MSSc
Sen Lecturer Aruna Lokuliyana
Tel : 0714458566 / 0112917713
Department Web Link - https://ss.kln.ac.lk/depts/maco/